Charleston is a very beautiful historic city located on the coasts of South Carolina. It is a major tourist destination and also an important seaport. Charleston is only 4 hours drive from Charlotte and is a perfect place for weekend getaways. Charleston has beautiful beaches on barrier islands, lovely gardens and lot of museums and historic attractions for history lovers. It is a perfect place for a peaceful and relaxing vacation. You will go back in time as soon as you step foot in Charleston.
The major tourist destinations in and around Charleston are:-
- Mount Pleasant – Home to Patriot’s Point Naval and Maritime Museum and Fort Sumter Cruise
- Isle of Palms – beautiful barrier island with warm beaches. It is less crowded compared to other neighboring beaches.
- Folly Beach – Folly Beach County park has dressing rooms and showers. There is also a nice public fishing pier.
- Sullivan’s Island – home to Fort Moultrie, and Sullivan’s Island Lighthouse. It’s mostly residential with very few public accesses.
- Kiawah Island – Barrier island with a semi tropical climate. Most of the beach is privately owned by Kiawah Island Golf Resort. Beachwalker County Park is a public access beach located on Kiawah Island.
- Cypress Gardens – beautiful Black Water Swamp, aquarium and gardens.
- Magnolia Plantation & Gardens
- South Carolina Aquarium
- Audobon Swamp Garden
If you are planning to visit Charleston, you need to stay for at least 2-3 days to enjoy the coastal city.
We spent 2 days during our trip to Charleston. On the first day, we visited Mount Pleasant. We spent the entire day visiting Fort Sumter, USS Yorktown and Submarine USS Clamagore and we still didn’t get time to view a few of the other attractions at the Naval and Maritime Museum. We stayed at a beach front hotel called “Sea Side Inn” on Isle of Palms Beach. We spent the next morning at the beautiful beach. By afternoon, we headed to Cypress Gardens and enjoyed the gardens for half a day. Check out the photos taken during our Charleston trip.
On our next trip, we plan to visit Folly Beach, Kiawah Island and Magnolia Plantations 🙂