A Cape is a piece or point of land, extending beyond the adjacent coast into the sea or a lake. If you see the map of Wilmington, North Carolina, you would notice how a piece of land extends into the Atlantic Ocean. This head land is called Cape Fear and it consists mainly of barrier islands along the coast of NC. Cape Fear River is a black water river which empties into the Atlantic Ocean near Cape Fear.
New Hanover Beaches of North Carolina include the following coastal cities and beaches :-
- Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Figure Eight Island, Top Sail Beach and Surf City.
The region around Cape Fear Coast of North Carolina consists of the following beaches – Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure beaches and the historic town of Wilmington.
Pleasure Island is a small barrier island on the Cape Fear coast of NC, south of Wilmington. It is home to Kure Beach, Carolina Beach and Historic Fort Fisher.
If you are planning to visit this part of North Carolina, you can choose to visit few of the following attractions. Our trip to Coastal NC was only for 3 days and we covered a few interesting places. Click on the links to view photos from our trip.
Kure Beach/Fort Fisher is home to the following attractions:-
- NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher
- Fort Fisher State Historic Site
- Fort Fisher/SouthPort Ferry – Enjoy the beautiful scenic cruise between Fort Fisher and South Port.
- Fort Fisher State Recreation Area – Swimming is permitted and there are life guards on duty. There are public changing rooms and showers.
- Fort Fisher Civil War Fort and Museum
Wilmington is home to the following attractions:-
- Battleship North Carolina Memorial
- Airlie Gardens
- Cape Fear Museum of History and Science
- Cape Fear Serpentarium
- Bellamy Mansion Museum and Gardens
- Henrieta III/ Cape Fear River Boats, Inc
- Greenfield Park and Gardens
- Poplar Grove Historic Plantation
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Boardwalk Carolina Beach and Amusement Park
- Carolina Beach Lake Park and Paddle Boats
- Freeman Park
It remains crowded until October since it is close to the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
- Wrightsville Beach Museum of History
- Wrightsville beach Scenic Tours
- Shell Island Bird Walk
- North Carolina Maritime Museum – A must see according to reviews but we didn’t get time to cover it.
- South Port to Fort Fisher Ferry
Useful WebsitesBeaches and Islands, Coastal NC, Destinations, North Carolina, Summer Trips, Travel Planning & Guides, Trip Ideas, Visiting North Carolina | No Comments »